Single? Make Feb. 14 ‘friends day’

Senior Dave Wildermuth is going to spend this Valentine’s Day just like any other Saturday night – at a bar, drinking with his friends. He said he doesn’t remember Valentine’s Day ever being special.

“It’s just another day of the year,” he said. “It’s just like trying to remember what I did on February 13 or February 12.”

According to Diane DePalma, director of the University Counseling Center, students like Wildermuth who are not in a relationship on Valentine’s Day should celebrate the holiday their own way. She said students should be “creative” and reflect on their relationships with friends and family members.

She suggested calling friends from home or family members just to catch up. She also said students could organize group outings with their friends.

“If you’re alone on Valentine’s Day, you need to know you’re not the only one,” she said.

Sophomore Larkin Barker said she hangs out with her friends on Valentine’s Day every year. Last year she went to Kramerbooks & Afterwords in Dupont with her friends to eat chocolate.

“It’s definitely a friends’ day,” she said. “If I had a boyfriend it would be a boyfriend day.”

DePalma said it is not unusual for students to reflect on their romantic relationships, or lack thereof, on Valentine’s Day. She said that while she has not noticed any particular trends in college dating, she has seen students who are looking for relationships they can count on, students who don’t know how to go about finding steady relationships, and students who just don’t want a romantic relationship.

“I would say (Valentine’s Day) causes people to reflect more on their relationship situation,” she said. “It doesn’t necessarily trigger depression … A major task in college is learning to form intimate, romantic relationships.”