Gymnastics falls to Maryland

The GW gymnastics team suffered a tough loss in its second dual meet of the season, falling to Maryland 195.400-192.975 Wednesday night at the Smith Center. The Colonials, who had three gymnasts competing with minor injuries, scored their second lowest total of the season.

“It was a rough night all around,” head coach Margie Foster-Cunningham said. “We performed well on three of the four events, but the (uneven) bars really hurt us. It’s one of those events we wish we could do over.”

The Colonials scored a team total 47.450 on the uneven bars, a full 1.400 points behind the Terrapins. Maryland’s Mandy Pascual won the event with a score of 9.875, while the Colonials’ highest score, a 9.775, came from sophomore Tiffany Jones. The large deficit created on this apparatus was too much for GW to overcome.

The Colonials got off to a good start, as a Smith Center crowd of 1,000 people watched GW perform surprisingly well on the vault, scoring a 48.350, one of its best results in that event all season. This came despite having to change their lineup due to an ankle sprain suffered by senior Lauren Bernstein.

Despite the strong performance, which was highlighted by sophomore Erin Aiken’s 9.775, Pascual posted an impressive 9.950 to win the event. As a team, Maryland edged out GW with a 48.735.

The Colonials’ strongest event so far this season, the floor exercise, proved to be the Colonials’ second weakest event Wednesday night. It was an untimely aberration considering the Terrapins posted an impressive 49.075, easily their best event score of the night. Maryland’s Ginny Scott scored the highest individual total with a 9.900, while GW junior Meagan Wilson tied for second in the event with a 9.850.

The Colonials’ only win came on the balance beam, where GW’s 48.875 edged out Maryland’s 48.750. Wilson led the team with a 9.825, while Aiken contributed a 9.800. Aiken became the first Colonial this season to participate in every event.

“We’re obviously disappointed with the result,” Cunningham said. “This was probably one of the meets we were going to drop. Now we have to step it up and prepare for Michigan State.”

The Colonials once again go on the road where they will face Michigan State University and the University of New Hampshire in next Saturday’s Spartan Invite.