GW in Brief

Comedian Dave Chapelle to perform
Comedian Dave Chappelle will entertain students at the Smith Center Feb. 28.

Tickets are available for $20 at Ticketmaster or for $25 online over the phone. Students can visit gwired.gwu.edu for purchasing information.

Chappelle has a show called “Chappelle’s Show,” which airs on Comedy Central Sunday nights at 10 p.m. Chapelle performed at GW in 2001.

The performance is sponsored by the Student Activities Center and the Program Board.

Expert to discuss Iraq security
A former director for security affairs at the Coalition Provisional Authority will talk Tuesday about his role in creating a new Iraqi Army.

The speaker, Walter B. Slocombe, supervised the program for creating a new Iraqi Army and assisted with the coordination of programs to reform the security system in Iraq. Slocombe also advised Iraqi authorities on setting up a new framework for Iraqi National Security.

The event, sponsored by the Elliott School of International Affairs, will take place at 6 p.m. in room 213 of 1957 E Street. It is free and open to the public.

GW professors’ encyclopedias win award
Two encyclopedias edited by GW professors were recently named 2004 Outstanding Reference Sources. The Reference and User Association, a division of the American Library Association, gave the awards.

Professor Christopher Sterling, who teaches in the School of Media and Public Affairs, received the award for his work on “The Encyclopedia of Radio.” Professor James Millar, who teaches economics and international affairs, was honored for his work on “The Encyclopedia of Russian History.”

The professors were among 19 award recipients.

GW Hospital observes Heart Month
The GW Hospital Women’s Heart Program is offering services throughout February to mark Heart Month.

Every Friday of the month the hospital will offer free blood pressure screening from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at 2131 K street in suite 600.

The program will also offer 10 percent off heart screenings throughout the month. The screenings include testing of cholesterol and glucose levels, blood pressure, heart rate and body mass index, a review of family history and tobacco use, screening for pre-diabetes, screening for pre-hypertension and metabolic syndrome and a free review of the screening results with a nurse.

-Bryn Lansdowne