Nathanson Surprises, DeGraw Doesn’t

Matt Nathanson and Gavin DeGraw, who played at the 9:30 Club together on Tuesday night, both work using a well-read rulebook, one that was written by Elton John and James Taylor and has since been read by aspiring male singer/songwriters time and time again. Dave Matthews, John Mayer and Jason Mraz are examples of those who, with varying degrees of success, have managed to read the rules and craft something that stands apart (even if only slightly) from the mold.

Nathanson and DeGraw are the latest two people to check out this book. In the past six months, both have had major-label debuts (on Universal and J-Records, respectively) and both write personal, emotionally charged songs – acoustic guitar-based in Nathanson’s case, piano-based in DeGraw’s – about the trials and tribulations of love. The observations made within these lyrics don’t exactly enter the undiscovered country; in other words, neither artist’s songs are startlingly original. They are good, harmless, heart-tugging music well suited for the radios of the Au Bon Pains the world over.

In short, expectations for the live presentation weren’t high. Matt Nathanson emerged to the tune of the Darkness’ stupid-yet-clever single, “I Believe in a Thing Called Love.” He began the show alone but was later joined on stage by cellist and longtime collaborator Matt Fish. Though the two Matts worked almost entirely from Nathanson’s material, plus a few covers (Prince’s “Starfish and Coffee,” U2’s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” and Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ on a Prayer”), they managed to put on a buoyant, fresh set that didn’t bore or drag, and audience interaction was high.

Along the way, Nathanson waxed philosophical about his secret love for an eventual relationship with Hilary Duff, questioned Clay Aiken’s sexuality (“Just say it! It’s 2004! We’re all liberals!”) and talked about New Jersey’s perpetration of the mullet crisis. His accessible live performance was nothing if not an indication of Nathanson’s path toward larger recognition and fame.

As for Gavin DeGraw? Not so much. Yes, he has a good voice. Yes, he can play the piano well. But can he perform a well at a show? Sadly, the answer is a decisive no. While his songs are almost on par with Nathanson’s, onstage, DeGraw seemed to joylessly go through the motions, not unlike the scene in “Ghostbusters” in which Dan Aykroyd shows Ernie Hudson how to store a trapped ghost. A certain indicator of boredom, watch-checking and cigarette-lighting amongst audience members increased substantially during his set. While Nathanson pumped life into his songs onstage, DeGraw turned his into barely-full IV bags ready for the nurse to come change them.

In the meantime, loyal Hatchet readers, keep your eyes on the future. If you’re ever driving through suburban New York and stop for a cup of coffee at some side-of-the-highway diner, you might hear Matt Nathanson on the jukebox, and your waiter might be Gavin DeGraw.