Varsity Roundup

Swimming and diving loses to GMU on Senior Day

The GW swimming and diving teams lost to George Mason Saturday afternoon at the Smith Center, with the men falling 141-100 and the women dropping a tight contest 125-117.

With the losses, the men are now 1-7 and the women are 3-5 heading into the Atlantic 10 Championships, which will be held Feb. 19-21 in Buffalo, N.Y.

The meet marked Senior Day for the Colonials, and seniors Crystal Freeman, Kristen Fagley and Ruth Dubyel each responded with first-place finishes. Freeman won in the 500-yard and 1,000-yard freestyle, Fagley won in the 100-yard and 200-yard freestyle and Dubyel won in the 100-yard butterfly.

George Mason took the top three spots in both women’s dives, but both the GW men and women swimmers captured the 400-yard medley relay.

Kelly Cassetori

Gymnastics takes second at Kentucky

The GW gymnastics team finished second Friday at the University of Kentucky’s tri-meet, placing ahead of the host Wildcats and behind Auburn University.
The Colonials’ best event came on the floor exercise, where sophomore Heather Kaufman scored a 9.800 to take eighth place and junior Meagan Wilson scored a 9.775 to finish in ninth. As a team, the Colonials totaled a score of 48.750.
Sophomore Erin Aiken led GW on the vault, finishing in eighth place with a 9.825, and sophomore Tiffany Jones tied Wilson for sixth place with a 9.775 to lead the Colonials on the balance beam.
GW’s next meet is Sunday against the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Va.

-Jeff Nelson

Men’s tennis falls to James Madison

The GW men’s tennis team lost 4-3 to James Madison University Friday. The Colonials are now 0-3 on the season.
Senior Matt Hane won at No. 1 singles and again at No. 1 doubles with his partner, junior Matt Treadgold. Sophomore Marius Weigert notched the other two wins for GW at the No. 2 and No. 4 singles spots.
Results of Saturday’s match against American University were not available Sunday.

-Alan Siegel