GW in Brief

Something Corporate to play at GW
WRGW will host the alternative band Something Corporate for its 75th Anniversary in February.

The band will play in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom Feb. 20 from 7 to 10 p.m.

Tickets will go on sale at Ticketmaster later this week.

The up-and-coming California band is described by the L.A. Times as a “mix of American and British classic with a modern-rock tinge.”

-Bryn Lansdowne

Student must sign up for exercise machines
Students must sign up for first-floor elliptical machines and trainers starting Monday in the Health and Wellness Center. Students will be able to use the machines a maximum of 30 minutes.

Andre Julien, assistant athletic director of HWC Recreation programs, said the center has been trying to eliminate overcrowding in the past year by adding more cardiovascular machines on upper levels.

The facility is currently most crowded from noon to 2 p.m. and 4 to 8 p.m.

“But the more equipment we get, the more people come,” Julien said.

Fitness equipment on the third and fourth floors will still operate on a first come, first served basis.

-Natalie Gontcharova

University updates data system
Students experienced an e-mail outage Saturday as the University finished a data migration to Ashburn, Va. GW’s system is currently housed at the Foggy Bottom campus.

Johnny Bret Jones, director of Technology Engineering, said GW’s data will be replicated on the Virginia campus. He said the center will allow GW to “synchronize and mirror the e-mail system data between the two data centers.”

He said the replication should help in case of problems because the data will be stored in two places.

Jones said Saturday’s outage lasted longer than anticipated because of technical difficulties.

-Julie Gordon

Barber named SBPM dean
The School of Business and Public Management appointed William Barber as dean for research and director of doctoral programs.

As dean, Barber will coordinate research efforts and advise students in preparation for careers in business and management.

Barber joined the SBPM in 1991 as the Benjamin Franklin professor of accountancy. He has spent more than 20 years at Dartmouth College, GW, Georgetown, Carnegie Mellon, Duke and Columbia universities. Prior to becoming a professor, Barber worked as a consultant at the Arthur and Young – now Ernst and Young – company in D.C.

Barber earned his Ph.D. at the University of North Carolina and his M.B.A. from the University of Pittsburg.

Barber was named “Faculty Member of the Year” in spring 2003 by GW students in the M.B.A. program and “Adviser of the Year” by SBPM doctoral students.

-Bryn Lansdowne