UPD finds large quantity of marijuana in Guthridge

Metropolitan Police are investigating a male student after University Police discovered 39 packaged grams of marijuana in his Guthridge Hall room last week.

UPD Chief Dolores Stafford said the quantity of marijuana seized, about 1.5 ounces, and other evidence found in the student’s room led UPD to conclude that he intended to sell the drugs.

“MPD will look at that evidence and will determine if they agree with our assessment about the intent to sell/distribute and whether or not they want to pursue an arrest in this case,” Stafford wrote in an e-mail Wednesday.

UPD seized the drugs Jan. 13, after a pungent odor emanating from a Guthridge triple prompted officers to conduct an administrative search.

According to MPD’s Major Narcotics Branch, 1.5 ounces of marijuana typically sells for $2,300, although it could be significantly cheaper if it’s not good quality.

A person found guilty of intent to distribute marijuana could face up to five years in prison, said Channing Phillips, spokesman for the U.S. District Attorney’s Office, which prosecutes suspected criminals in the District.

“We typically do not see college cases like this,” Phillips said.

But according to the UPD Web site, the student’s case has been handed over to Student Judicial Services and will be handled internally.

Although the identity of the student has not been disclosed, Senior Associate Athletic Director Mary Jo Warner said she does not believe the student is an athlete. Guthridge houses students from several sports teams, including men’s and women’s basketball.