Sec. Albright discusses new book at GW

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright criticized Bush foreign policy and discussed her new book, “Madam Secretary,” at the Elliott School of International Affairs building Tuesday.

After the speech, about 100 people lined up to get signed copies of the book.

“Since I left we have had problems with Iraq, stopped negotiating with North Korea, the Europeans are not talking to us and the United States’ reputation has sunk,” Albright told the more than 300 people in attendance “But that’s what happens when you give the position of secretary of state to a man.”

Albright said her book was more candid than others that have been written by former diplomats.

She also said she became mesmerized by the U.S. government as a child growing up in Czechoslovakia during World War II. Witnessing significant events such as the Munich crisis and having a Czech diplomat for a father stoked her interest in politics.

Keeping in mind the lessons she learned as a child, Albright said she kept the United States actively involved in foreign affairs under the Clinton administration and was able to resolve conflicts in Bosnia, Kosovo and Iraq.

She criticized President George W. Bush for straining relations between the United States and its allies.

Albright conceded that she has been criticized for her dealings with the United Nations.

“We were looking at what role the U.N. could play in order to be a peace keeper, and share the burden, share the responsibility and create multilateralism,” Albright said. “Well, multilateralism has too many syllables and ends in ‘ism,’ so I was criticized for (speaking about it).”

When asked about the current situation in Kosovo, Albright said the Bush administration has neglected the Slavic republics, which she said are still in desperate need of American help.

She also said the Bush administration should not seek to undermine the authority of international organizations, which are needed in the war on terror.

“The U.S. or other powerful countries cannot run the world by themselves,” she said. “Terrorism moves from one place to another; global warming knows no international boundaries.

“While we are resource rich, we are not resource independent,” she continued. “We need recognition that America’s power is not lessened by having allies and that they are force multipliers and we need them.”