GW in Brief

CNN’s Anderson Cooper to tape at GW

CNN will tape a news program live from GW Tuesday focusing on the 2004 presidential election and the State of the Union address. The show, “Anderson Cooper 360,” will record from 7 to 8 p.m. in the Media and Public Affairs building’s Jack Morton Auditorium.

CNN is looking for audience members between the ages of 18 and 30. E-mail [email protected] to be part of the studio audience.

Tickets are free, but seats are limited.

-Julie Gordon

Faculty Senate considers tenure application extension

The Faculty Senate passed a resolution Friday that will allow faculty who become new parents to extend by one year the time they have to prepare for applying for tenure.

Currently, professors are eligible for tenure after six years.

The resolution would give faculty more time to publish papers and do other activities that would increase their likelihood of obtaining tenure.

Philip Wirtz, professor of management science and psychology, said that in the past 10 years this resolution would have affected nearly 400 faculty members.

“I think (the resolution has) been long in coming,” said Lilien Robinson, chair of the Faculty Senate. “It is a matter of right.”

The resolution is set to be reviewed by University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg and the Board of Trustees by the end of the academic year. Trachtenberg expressed support for the resolution at Friday’s meeting.

Professor William Griffith also brought up the issue of granting extended leave to new parents. Robinson said the Senate executive committee would look into forming a committee to study the topic.

-Aaron Huertas

New public policy school to open Wednesday

An opening ceremony for the new School of Public Policy and Public Administration will take place on campus Wednesday. The event will be in the Media and Public Affairs building’s Jack Morton Auditorium from 6 to 8 p.m.

Students in SPPPA can receive a master’s degree in public administration or public policy, or a Ph.D. in public policy and administration. The school is new to the University this year.

The keynote speaker will be Alice M. Rivlin, senior fellow in the economic studies program at the Brookings Institute and former director of the White House Office of Management and Budget.

Mount Vernon displays student artwork

Artwork from students of the Loudoun County Public School District is on display at the Mount Vernon Campus until Feb. 25.

The program, “Discover Loudoun’s Young Artists,” features two-dimensional and mixed media-style art. The goal of the work is to connect student artists to the power of visual image and create a link between art works of the past and present.

About 50 students from the Virginia schools Tolbert Elementary School, Sterling Middle School and Park View High School have artwork on display in the exhibit.

-Bryn Lansdowne