The Bar Belle

After a rather uneventful break in “Sin City” (a.k.a. Las Vegas), I was excited for a triumphant return to D.C. nightlife. As tiresome as it may be at times, the odds are usually in your favor to have a good time. Sometimes a trip to a new bar is better than getting a royal flush. And I thought of the perfect place where I hoped the odds would be in my favor – Lucky Bar.

Despite its close proximity to the string of bars on M Street, I have never been to Lucky Bar. But its green awning is easily visible from all directions on Connecticut Avenue.

The inside is surprisingly unpretentious. The first bar and seating area is at the entrance, and it was filled with people who were probably regulars. Only one guy was checking IDs, and from the look of his grimy ball cap and hunter’s jacket, I couldn’t tell if he was a bouncer or a patron.

Lucky Bar also has a second level with a small dance floor in the back. Service tends to be slower there, but the selection of draft beers made up for it. However, the price of drinks made me wish I won in Vegas, as beers were about $4.50 a pop.

After your trip to Lucky Bar be sure to stop next door at Julia’s Empanadas. They’re cheaper than beer and are a great substitute for gloves on a cold winter night.

Belle Rating: * *