GW IN BRIEF

GW law professor fights for restroom rights

GW law professor John Banzhaf is lobbying on behalf of a bill introduced Wednesday in New York that calls for more women’s than men’s restrooms in public facilities.

Banzhaf said the bill shows women are standing up for their rights “even if they can’t stand up while exercising those rights,” according to CNN.

City Councilwoman Yvette Clark told CNN that women take longer to use the restroom because they attend to small children and have more clothing and because there is an “anatomical difference” between men and women.

Banzhaf made the argument that women should not have to put up with a system that requires them to wait longer when performing a “necessary personal function.”

Geography bowl team wins regional competition

GW’s Geography Bowl Team will compete in the World Geography Bowl Championship in Philadelphia this March. The team won the Southeast Division Regionals of the World Geography Bowl Nov. 23.

The team was undefeated during the competition, winning all 10 jeopardy-style rounds. The competition consisted of individual and group questions.

Engineering School to give out scholarships

Students have until Feb. 2 to apply for a two-year scholarship in computer security at GW or a partner university. The School of Engineering and Applied Science, which is offering the scholarship, currently has 11 recipients.

All students who will be rising juniors, seniors or graduates in July 2004 are eligible to apply.

The scholarship provides for tuition, books and a stipend. In some cases, room and board will also be covered.

After completing their coursework, recipients will work in government agencies as security experts for two years.

Interested students should visit www.seas.gwu.edu/scholarship for more information or an application.