SA Notes

SA works to get more meeting space

Student Association members will work with University officials in the next few weeks to increase student group accessibility to academic space. Several student organization leaders have said Marvin Center space is limited and it is often difficult to book classrooms.
SA President Kris Hart said the SA will work to streamline and simplify the process for reserving space in academic buildings close to the Marvin Center. Currently, students must book academic space a few weeks in advance by e-mailing [email protected] or calling the Academic Scheduling Office. There are also limitations in classrooms, including no food or drinks.
“With over 300 student groups and more being added all the time, we need to open up space for groups to meet,” Hart said. “They have been meeting in the fourth floor lobby of the Marvin Center and in Kogan Plaza in this cold weather.”

Senate calls for better disability access

The SA Senate unanimously approved a resolution urging the University to improve disability access. There are seven campus buildings with no handicapped access including the University Club and Crawford Hall, and another 13 with inadequate access, including Gelman Library and Lisner Auditorium, senators said.
“It first came to my attention when the Marvin Center elevator was broken for a long time,” said Sen. Asher Corson (U-CCAS). “It was a big inconvenience for disabled students to have to go all the way around to the ramp.”
Corson said he spoke with Progressive Student Union members and several disabled students about improving handicapped access to many buildings that had little or no appropriate facilities.
“This is something that may not seem important to most students, but it is very important for disabled students,” he said.