Moss breaks own GW marks

GW sophomore swimmer Maggie Moss set two school records this past weekend at the George Mason Invitational, breaking her own marks in the 100-yard freestyle and the 200-yard backstroke. While final team results were not available late Sunday night, Moss said the women finished in fifth and the men finished in seventh place at the 10-team invitational.

Moss swam her first record-breaking race Saturday, going 100 yards in 57.16 seconds, the fastest time in the Atlantic 10 this year and the 41st fastest time in the nation. On Sunday, the third and final day of the invitational, Moss swam the 200-yard backstroke in 2:02.35.

As Moss broke both records, which she originally set last year as a freshman, the Indianapolis native said she could tell there was a chance the races could be special.

“It’s definitely a feeling you get that you’re on fire,” she said. “And this mentality just comes over you and you know your doing something great and it’s just a matter of when you get to the wall, looking up at the clock to see how you did.”

Moss also did well when teamed up with sophomore Christina Boland and seniors Kristen Fagley and Crystal Freeman in the 800-yard freestyle relay. The foursome won the race in 7:47.05, the 15th fastest time in the nation this season.

The team rested more this week leading up to the invitational, which helped contribute to the strong performances, Moss said.

“In swimming, you train really hard to tear down your muscles, and then before your big meets you take your yardage down and go a little bit easier,” she said. “And that just gives you time to rebuild and recover. So the rest was definitely helpful.”

For the men, freshman Jonathan Sabin had the best individual performance in the first two days, taking seventh in the 100-yard backstroke. His time of 53.21 seconds was the second best this season in the A-10.

The GW swimmers face Old Dominion next in the Smith Center on Dec. 6.