SA Notes

VP Chernak addresses Senate

A senior University official said Tuesday that the University would probably not adopt the alternative academic calendar proposal under administrative consideration in its current form.

Senior Vice President for Student and Academic Support Services Robert Chernak said he has not seen “many people who support the plan around campus.”

Under the proposal, rising juniors would be required to attend a mandatory summer session. The University could also switch from its current five-course, three-credit system to a four-course, four-credit system.

Last month, the Faculty Senate and three schools submitted resolutions against the proposal.

“It’s pretty clear there’s not a love affair between the faculty and this plan,” Chernak said.

He also said there has been interest in a voluntary winter term or expanded voluntary summer term.

Besides discussing the academic calendar proposal, Chernak fielded questions about the old hospital site, among other issues.

He said officials were “looking at a mixed use of residential, (and) office space and parking.” He also said the site could be the home of the School of Public Health and Health Services.

Senate urges GW to maintain student privacy

The Senate passed a resolution encouraging GW not to send letters to parents of students hospitalized for drug and alcohol abuses.

“There is a concept of the doctor-patient privilege, and I don’t see why this University should be any different,” Sen. Stephanie Simon (G-SMHS) said. “Students have to make their own decisions in life, and they shouldn’t be always tied to their parents.”

But some senators said they opposed the bill.

“This is a health problem. I think in this situation the student’s health outweighs privacy concerns,” Sen. J.P. Blackford (G-SEAS) said.