Alpha Phi Alpha honors women

The men of the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity showed their appreciation for women Sunday evening at the group’s fourth annual Black Female Appreciation Dinner.

About 75 people from GW and American and Howard universities attended the dinner. Women received yellow roses as they entered the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom, where rhythm and blues music played softly in the background.

The night began with a prayer from the fraternity’s vice president, junior Isaiah Pickens. He thanked God for giving his fraternity the opportunity to host the event, for creating black women and for women’s strength and perseverance.

Men took the stage throughout the night to recite poetry and express their feelings toward black women. Senior Brian Taylor, president of Alpha Phi Alpha, said a poem that praised black as well as Native American, Asian, Hispanic and Indian women.

The fraternity also presented a Phenomenal Woman Award to Helen Cannaday-Saulny, assistant vice president for Student and Academic Support Services. Cannaday has worked at GW for more than 20 years.

“It’s great that black men show their appreciation for black women,” said sophomore Loryn Wilson, who attended the event. “Also, it’s really good for the diversity of the campus.”