GW in brief

Federal trial begins for Rizzo Murderer

The man who killed GW student Jonathan Rizzo in 2001 went to court last week for the start of his federal death penalty case.

Gary Sampson described in court how he killed Rizzo, 19, and another man after asking for rides in their cars, according to the Boston Globe. Sampson posed as a hitchhiker so he could steal the two cars and gain entrance to the vehicles.

Sampson would be the first person executed in Massachusetts if jurors vote for the death penalty. A unanimous decision must be reached in order for Sampson to get the death penalty; Sampson will be sentenced to life in prison otherwise.

Cell phones ring “Buff and Blue”

Students anticipating basketball games this season now have another reason to cheer – GW’s fight song and alma mater can be downloaded as cell phone rings.

The web site Schoolfightsongs.com offers both songs for $5 each. Students must use cell phone companies AT&T, Cingular or Cellular One, among others, to be eligible to download.
Julie Gordon

GW provides rides home

GW will provide a bus service for students looking for transportation to and from their homes during Thanksgiving weekend.

Buses will leave from the Smith Center at 6 p.m. on Nov. 27, taking students to Wynnewood, Pa., Metropark, N.J., and the Port Authority in New York.

New Jersey and New York buses will depart for the ride back to D.C. at noon on Nov. 30, while the Pennsylvania bus will leave at 3 p.m.

The Pennsylvania bus is $50 round-trip and $30 one-way. The New Jersey bus costs $60 round-trip or $35 one-way. New York is $65 round-trip or $40 one-way.

Tickets are available at Ticketmaster.
Elizabeth Chernow