Staff Editorial: Beat the heat

Property Management recently agreed to turn back on the air conditioning in residence halls, responding to student complaints about excessive heat due to abnormal November temperatures. This was in no small part due to the urging of Student Association President Kris Hart, who advocated on behalf of sweaty students throughout campus. Hart should be commended for his action in addressing student concerns when no one else seemed to take them seriously.

This has become an annual complaint of students living on campus. The system in most University residence halls does not permit both air conditioning and heating to be accessible at the same time. As a result, there comes a time every year when it is necessary to change over from air conditioning to heat. But the date officials chose to changeover seemed arbitrary – especially when forecasters were predicating a record heat wave. Nonetheless, this changeover needs to happen and cannot always be at the best time. And it is theoretically more important to have access to heat if it gets really cold, which we know it can in November, then to have air conditioning.

Naturally, there will be some days after the changeover when the heat makes the temperature uncomfortable, but switching between air conditioning and heat costs a lot of money, and students should not expect this every year. Now students might have to deal with the cold if the heat is not turned on by the time this current heat wave ends.