Greek Briefs

TKE to host Turkey Bowl

The Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity will host its annual flag football Turkey Bowl on Nov. 22. The event has been the fraternity’s main fall philanthropy event for at least nine years.

Members said seven of GW’s eight sororities registered to compete in the tournament on a field at Constitution and Virginia avenues. Teams have until Nov. 19 to sign up for the event. Tau Kappa Epsilon members will coach the teams.

“It’s a lot of fun for (us) and it brings the whole chapter together,” said Scott Chidgey, vice president of Tau Kappa Epsilon.

Each sorority can sign up as many teams of seven players for the tournament as it wants. Sororities are charged $65 for the first team and $40 for each additional team.

Funding will go to the Alzheimer’s Foundation, the fraternity’s national philanthropy, said Ashton Randle, philanthropy chair for Tau Kappa Epsilon. He said the fraternity expects to raise a few hundred dollars.

The sororities, with the exception of Alpha Delta Pi, which holds its initiation events that day, are gearing up for the tournament, members said.

Sigma Delta Tau won last year’s tournament and members hope to see similar results this year, said Kim Brownstein, sorority president.

“I’m very excited and I hope we win again,” she said. “Our whole team’s coming back, and (the Turkey Bowl is) one of the highlights of the semester.”

Several new members of Tau Kappa Epsilon said they are also enthusiastic about participating in their chapter’s first major event of the year.

“I’m definitely looking forward to the Turkey Bowl,” freshman Brandon DeBaun said. “It should be a really good time.”