Greeks raise charity funds

Kappa Sigma and Phi Sigma Sigma captured the top fraternity and sorority titles at this year’s Greek Week, an annual competition and charity fundraiser for Greek-letter organizations.

Groups participated throughout last week in a skit night, Greek a God and Goddess competition and date auction, among other events. Greek-letter organizations raised at least $5,100 for local charities throughout the week.

Members of fraternities and sororities filled Polly Esther’s nightclub Saturday evening to celebrate the end of Greek Week and find out overall and individual member titles.

Members cheered as results were announced. Cam Johnson of Pi Kappa Phi was crowned Greek God and Mary Leigh Philips of Sigma Kappa and Shari Newman of Phi Sigma Sigma tied for Greek Goddess.

“The purpose of Greek Week is to bring everyone together in service, education and social aspects,” said Lindsay Mandell, vice president of programming for the Panhellenic Association.

Fraternities and sororities won points for attending events and winning competitions throughout the week.

Wednesday night’s date auction, which raised $2,865, was more popular than expected, The Marvin Center Ballroom proved too small for the number of audience members.

Bids ranged from $100 to $325, with Ryan Fitzgerald of Sigma Phi Epsilon bringing in the highest bid.

Junior Jake Bedor, a member of Delta Tau Delta, caused a stir by donning just a sock, after which he was excluded from the Greek God competition.

Each sorority and fraternity selected a representative to nominate as a Greek God or Goddess and a panel of judges selected the winner based on an interview.

All of the money raised at the date auction will go to the Northwest Settlement House, an organization that runs social services for the District’s Shaw community, Mandell said.

Thursday’s “Philanthropy Day and Night” began with Alpha Delta Pi’s “Jail ‘n Bail” event, in which 241 people participated. The sorority raised more than $2,200, said Alpha Delta Pi President Janet Ehlers. The money will go to the Ronald McDonald House Charities.

Members of the sorority led participants around GW in handcuffs begging for money to be released from the cuffs.

Phi Sigma Sigma’s karaoke contest was held in the Marvin Center Ballroom the following night. Performances ranged from Alpha Phi and Phi Kappa Alpha’s large, choreographed rendition of “Summer Nights” to a solo performance of a Ricky Martin tune by junior Yoni Oinounou of Alpha Epsilon Pi.

Phi Sigma Sigma and Sigma Phi Epsilon came in first place. The money raised will go to My Sister’s Place, a local shelter for battered women, said Angela Venturiello, event chair for Phi Sigma Sigma .

Two fraternities on social probation, Kappa Sigma and Sigma Phi Epsilon, could not attend the party on Saturday night because alcohol was served. Both fraternities participated in all other events.