Varsity Roundup

Water Polo wins one of four at East-West Invite

The GW men’s water polo team finished the East Meets West Invite with a 1-3 record last weekend at the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Co.

The Colonials’ (8-12) sole victory of the tournament came against Chapman University in their third match with a 7-6 victory. The match was tied at four at halftime, but the Colonials’ defense held Chapman down in the second half, limiting them to one goal per quarter. Senior goalkeeper Chris Blick made eight saves while junior Srdan Radnic scored two goals for GW.

In their first match, the Colonials fell behind Air Force early, 7-3, and could never catch up, losing 12-6. Against California Baptist University, GW again got off to a poor start, trailing 7-1 early. The Colonials would end up losing 18-7.

After beating Chapman, GW faced Iona and started well, leading 2-1 after the first quarter. But Iona would take a 4-2 lead into halftime and eventually win the match, 9-7.

Freshman John Hornberger was named to the all-tournament team after scoring six goals over the weekend.

Women’s tennis sends two to ITA’s with little success

The GW women’s tennis team sent two players to the ITA Regional Tournament this past weekend, but neither player could advance past the round of 64.

Senior Nazli Gencsoy won her first singles match, beating Dartmouth University’s Katherine Crandall in three sets, but then lost to Marshall’s Alice Suckner in the round of 64.

GW Junior Natasha Bode played in the singles consolation bracket but lost 6-1, 7-5.

The pair also played in the doubles bracket, but lost in the first round to a team from Quinnipiac University, 8-6.

With its fall season over, GW does not play against until they it takes on College of William and Mary on Jan. 18.

Men’s crew novice four boat wins in Philly

The GW men’s and women’s crew teams competed in the Head of the Schuylkill Regatta in Philadelphia, Pa., last weekend, with the men’s novice four recording the Colonials’ only win, beating 12 other teams including a boat from Temple by less than a second.

The men’s varsity eight team finished seventh out of 17 boats in a race won by the U.S. Naval Academy. The women’s varsity eight placed fourth out of 18 boats, eight seconds behind the winning boat from Navy. The women’s novice eight took eighth place in a 42-boat field.

The Colonials’ next competition is Saturday in the Head of the Occoquan in Occoquan, Va