Greek Briefs

Students “imprisoned” for charity
The Alpha Delta Pi sorority will host its second annual “Jail n’ Bail” fundraiser Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. as a part of this year’s Greek Week.

Students can pay $3 to have their friends handcuffed to sorority members. Participants then report to Kogan Plaza to beg passersby for $10 in order to unlock the cuffs. Funds from the event will help families of ill children through the Ronald McDonald House, the sorority’s national philanthropy, said Lauren Glesby, philanthropy chair for Alpha Delta Pi.

While members of Greek-letter organizations will receive Greek Week points for the event, all students are welcome to participate, Glesby said.

As of Tuesday, the sorority collected more than $400 and 154 “prisoners” signed up.

Phi Sigma hosts Karaoke contest
Phi Sigma Sigma will host a karaoke competition in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom Thursday at 8 p.m.

This is the first year Phi Sigma Sigma is hosting the event during Greek Week. Angela Venturiello, special events chair for Phi Sigma Sigma, said sorority members hope the timing will increase participation and funds.

Sororities and fraternities form pairs for the event and submit teams of eight to 10 people, Venturiello said. The first team pe pair pays an entrance fee of $65 and the second team pays $30. Proceeds will go to My Sister’s Place, a local shelter for battered women

As of Tuesday, 17 teams from 12 Greek-letter organizations planned to sing.