GW in Brief

GW kicks off Greek Week

The University launched its annual Greek Week this weekend with a campfire, Foggy Bottom cleanup and Greek Games.

Greek Week, which will last through Saturday, is a series of competitions and social events bringing the Greek-letter community together and raising money for charity. This year’s theme is “Where the Wild Things Are,” said Lindsay Mandell, vice president of programming for the Panhellenic Association.

Greek-letter leaders said most of the events will be similar to those held in previous years, with the addition of an obstacle course and karaoke night. The skit night and date auction are usually the largest events, said Mike Bodnarik, vice president for chapter services for the Interfraternity Council.

Although the Kappa Sigma and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternities are on social probation, they are permitted to participate in most of the Greek Week event; however they cannot attend Greek Night at Polly Esther’s club, where Greek Week winners and the Greek god and goddess will be announced, because the venue serves alcohol.

-Rachel Weiner

GW students “make a difference”

About 15 GW students attended a Halloween party for homeless children at the Community for Creative Non-Violence on Saturday as part of GW’s 13th Annual Make a Difference Day.

“Homeless children don’t get Halloween costumes,” said Jen Wilson, who organized GW participation at the site for the Neighbor’s Project. “They are often overlooked, and we wanted to raise awareness on campus.”

Organizers from the site said the children do not have many opportunities to participate in events like this.

“This is something to keep them occupied,” said Barbara Durr, an employee at the Community for Creative Non-Violence. “They need that.”

The Community for Creative Non-Violence was one of several options for the more than 100 GW students participating in the day of service. Other locations included Martha’s Table, Community Harvest and the Ronald MacDonald House.

-Miriam Bamberger

Garage Workers protest parking policies

Parking garage workers gathered outside of Colonial Parking on 20th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue Saturday to protest what they said were the inadequate pay and benefits they receive from parking companies in D.C. Colonial Parking is a private company unaffiliated with the University.

About 20 members of the Parking and Service Workers Union Local 27 said parking companies are exploiting workers, many of whom are immigrants from Ethiopia. They called for an increase in pay and health coverage and asked Colonial Parking workers to join their union.

Colonial Parking, which employs 285 people in 60 District locations, has discouraged its workers from joining the union, protesters said.

“We’re here to inform the public that the working conditions are low,” said Local 27 President Roxie Herbekian.

-Michael Barnett