Water Polo secures fourth seed for Southerns

The GW men’s water polo team finished fourth this weekend at the Inter-Regional Competition at Princeton University. Though they said they had hoped for a better finish, it was still a good weekend for the Colonials, as they were able to secure at least the fourth seed for the CWPA Southern Championships.

“I think we could have done better,” GW head coach Scott Reed said. “I think we’re a team that can be in the top two.”

The Colonials defeated Salem International University Saturday in their first match, 11-9. Then on Sunday, they routed Mercyhurst College 17-2 and advanced to the semifinals against the U.S. Naval Academy, which had beaten them earlier this season. Navy beat GW again, 8-4.

That put GW in the consolation game against rival Johns Hopkins University, which the Colonials had played twice already this year, splitting the earlier pair of games. GW was unable to come out on top, losing 8-7 in overtime.

Top performers for the Colonials included senior Pat Dodge and junior Nicholas Koenemann. Dodge has played consistently well all year and continues to carry the team. Senior Chris Blick also had a strong tournament in goal.

Reed said he was happy that the Colonials were “consistent all the way through this weekend,” a quality they had not shown earlier in the season.

Up next for the team is the East Meets West Invite this weekend in Colorado Spring, Col.