Men’s tennis stars compete at Regionals, women’s team takes two consolation brackets at ODU

Senior Matt Hane advanced to the third round of the ITA Regionals last weekend, while Hane and junior Matt Treadgold teamed up to reach the round of 16 in the doubles draw. They were the only two Colonials participating in the Regionals at Cornell University.

Hane received a first-round bye due to his No. 17 seed in the singles draw. He followed with an easy win over Rowan Reynolds of Yale, 6-2, 6-3, to reach a third round match-up against St. Bonaventure’s Mario Arce.

Arce ended Hane’s 12-match winning streak last season and proved too much for Hane again over the weekend. In a two-hour and 45 minute match, Arce won 7-6 (7), 4-6, 7-6 (1).

Playing doubles, Hane and Treadgold were seeded 11th. They disposed of a team from Colgate University in the first round, 8-3, and a team from Penn State University in the second round, 8-5. Up against a duo from Harvard University who would eventually reach the final, Hane and Treadgold lost 9-8 (3).

The entire Colonials squad starts its spring season against Richmond Jan. 18.

In women’s action, two GW players won consolation brackets and one doubles team made it to the finals last weekend as the Colonials played in the Old Dominion Tournament.

Senior Nazli Gencsov won the A-2 singles consolation bracket by winning three consecutive matches after losing in the winner’s bracket round of 16. Junior Sevla Gonca won four straight matches to claim the C-1 consolation bracket, culminating in an 8-4 victory over James Madison’s Lauren Graham.

Gonca also teamed up with freshman Anne Watkins to reach the finals of the C-2 bracket, but the pair lost to a team from James Madison.

The doubles team of senior Lindy First and sophomore Estee Bartell made the B-1 semifinal before losing to a team from North Carolina State Univeristy.

The women compete next at the Omni Hotel Tournament this weekend in Blacksburg, Va.