Beach Boys return to GW

GW students, parents, faculty and alumni danced to a live performance from the Beach Boys in the Smith Center on Saturday.

“It’s really great to be here tonight,” Beach Boys lead singer Mike Love said to a sold-out crowd. “It’s really great to be anywhere tonight, considering the Beach Boys started in 1961!”

The Beach Boys, dressed in Hawaiian shirts and leis, entertained the crowd with all of well-known hits such as “California Girls,” “Good Vibrations,” “Help Me Rhonda,” “Barbara Ann” and “Kokomo” for about an hour and a half.

The Beach Boys also performed in fall 2000 for Parents Weekend.

“Mike Love is ageless,” said Gail Ferris, former GW employee and longtime fan.

Some alumni said they felt a wave of nostalgia for the early 60s.

“I’m 19! I haven’t aged a day since listening to these records,” said Dave Tuttle, class of 1989.

“We’re really looking forward to stepping back in time,” said Wendy Doling, class of 1989.

Various student groups entertained at the concert. The Ballroom Dance Society showcased their dancing skills prior to the show, and the First Ladies, GW’s dance team, performed a routine with the band to “Be True To Your School.”

“We were trying to give something to people as they were coming in to entertain them,” said sophomore Matthew Meyer, a member of the Ballroom Dance Society.

Student staff said they had fun planning and attending the concert.

“I’m not that big of a (Beach Boys) fan, but it was a lot better than I thought it would be,” said Julia Panepianco, who worked on Smith Center staff to make sure the crowd didn’t get out of control. She added that she did not encounter any problems with the crowd.

GW parents said the concert not only appealed to them, but to their children as well.

“I think my son got a better understanding of the music we used to listen to when we were his age,” parent Joseph Portugal said.

“I wouldn’t have missed it for the world,” Ferris said. “The trick is, my 10-year-old knows all their songs too.” His 10-year-old daughter Veronica said her favorite song was “Fun Fun Fun.”