Fire destoys FB townhouse

A fire ravaged a student-leased townhouse Friday night as firefighters descended on Foggy Bottom for the second time in a week to extinguish a large conflagration.

At 8:10 p.m., the third floor of the Foggy Bottom Mews’ Unit C erupted into flames that shot out of the building’s balcony. No injuries were reported, as firefighters extinguished the blaze and kept it from spreading to the row’s other units. The Mews is located behind 7-Eleven at 900 24th St.

The D.C. Fire Department is still investigating the incident, but a preliminary investigation found that an unspecified electrical malfunction in the third floor wall sparked the fire, said Alan Etter, the department’s spokesman. He said the damage is estimated at $55,000.

Senior Becky Wolf, one of four people who lives in the townhouse, said the third floor, which includes the bedroom and a balcony, is “totally charred.” She said the second floor sustained severe water damage from the fire hoses.

The renters have not decided whether to file an insurance claim or take action against the Mews’ owner, who could not be reached for comment.

“Right now there’s so much going on,” Wolf said. “We haven’t really figured it out yet.”

Scores of firefighters rushed to 24th Street and New Hampshire Avenue near the GW Hospital in a scene eerily reminiscent of the city’s response to Tuesday’s fire on 23rd Street.

After receiving the call Friday night, firefighters initially went to 23rd and I streets.

“There was a little confusion … but they got in there really quick and put the fire out,” said Chief Richard Stern of the D.C. Fire Department, who said the mix-up did not hamper the city’s ability to extinguish the fire.

Wolf said four people were in the townhouse when the fire began, “packing the ice around the kegs” for a party they were planning to throw later in the night.

“The kegs are fine,” she joked. “We drank them (Saturday) night.”

The Hatchet has disabled comments on our website. Learn more.