Varsity Roundup

Softball wins three in D.C. Challenge

The GW softball team took three of four games over the weekend in the D.C. Challenge, beating Catholic twice and splitting two games with Howard at the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex.

Freshman pitcher Jennifer Hrycyna led the Colonials (5-2 in exhibition play), recording one victory as a starter and one as a reliever. She pitched in GW’s first game Saturday against Catholic and struck out eight while allowing four hits over seven scoreless innings. Hrycyna received plenty of offensive support as the Colonials scored seven runs, including a homerun by freshman Gabby Culp, to win 7-0.

Culp took the mound in GW’s second game of the day against Howard but gave up three runs in the first inning. She found her composure and allowed only one hit over the final six innings while striking out eleven, but GW’s offense only produced one run. The Colonials lost 3-1.

Culp got the call to start against Howard again on Sunday and only gave up one run on one hit before being replaced by Hrycyna. The GW offense scored three runs as the Colonials beat the Lady Bison, 3-1, to give Hrycyna her second win in as many days.

In the final game on Sunday, freshman Melanie Lewis struck out nine Catholic batters while giving up two runs in a 5-2 victory. Freshman Kristen Dimeo got two hits, a walk and three runs scored, while sophomore Elana Meyers had two hits, a walk and two runs scored.

GW’s next games are Saturday at Mount Vernon, when the Colonials play a doubleheader against Coppin State College starting at noon.

Cross country starters rest at La Salle Invitational

As the majority of GW’s cross country runners prepare for the Maryland Invitational, a few Colonials competed in the La Salle Invitational last Saturday in Philadelphia.

Freshmen Jeffrey Scranton and Marco Gonzalez were the only two men to run for GW. Scranton finished in 28:21:03, his best time of the year, while Gonzalez finished in 31:07:04.

Senior Laura DeLucia was the women’s top finisher for the Colonials, followed by sophomore Sonal Kemkar, freshman Taylor Leavitt and sophomores Meredith Deschenes and Colleen McCauley.

The entire GW team will race Saturday at the Maryland Invitational.