Greek Briefs

Kappa Kappa Gamma plans kickball tourney
The Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority will host “Kappa Kickball” later this month to raise money to fight breast cancer.

Members said they invited different GW student groups to participate in the event, including other Greek-letter organizations.

“There seems to be a very positive response so far,” said Emily Elliott, philanthropy chair for Kappa Kappa Gamma. “The (Residence Hall Association) is very interested and the majority of fraternities and sororities will get involved. Student organizations have until Oct. 15 to register. The event will take place Oct. 25 from 2 to 6 p.m.

Student organizations can register by e-mailing [email protected] and then filling out an application.

“(Student organizations) can enter teams of six or 12,” said Sarah Konopka, president of Kappa Kappa Gamma.

Members said they hope to make Kappa Kickball an annual event, benefiting their chapters’ philanthropy – breast cancer research. The sorority’s national philanthropy is women’s issues, but specific issues vary from chapter to chapter.

“We haven’t picked an organization (to donate the funds to) yet” Konopka said. “We have to figure out if we want to donate it to a breast cancer ward of a hospital, or families suffering from breast cancer or to a breast cancer research organization.”

Members said they do not always participate in philanthropy events relating to breast cancer. “We like to get involved by going to different places and by raising money for organizations,” Elliott said.

Registration for Kappa Kickball costs $35 for teams of six and $60 for teams of 12.

-Elizabeth Chernow