Greek Briefs

Alpha Phi begins service project

Members of the Alpha Phi sorority said they began conducting a major philanthropy event on Sunday, when 22 out of the approximately 110 members completed orientation at the GW Heart Center, which opened in August.

Alpha Phi’s main philanthropy is women’s cardiac care, members said.

“It’s so convenient that our philanthropy opened up right next to us,” said Aine Farrell, director of Community Service for Alpha Phi.

Members said they will hand out informational palm cards by the Metro on Friday mornings and conduct surveys about peoples’ knowledge of cardiac conditions on Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday evenings until December. Farrell said they are waiting for final paperwork to go through. but they could begin their actual volunteer work as soon as next week.

Vice President of Marketing for Alpha Phi Jessica Altschul said once the survey ends, members will go into workplaces to help the Center’s doctors hold informational sessions for women.

While Alpha Phi members said they could not volunteer at locations directly relating to their philanthropy last year, they held several large fundraisers, donating all proceeds to the Alpha Phi Foundation.

“(The foundation) puts all the money raised towards women’s heart programs and women’s leadership programs,” Altschul said.

Altschul said another 20 to 30 members, including new members, volunteered to participate in another orientation sometime this month.

Student leaders said would like to develop a strong affiliation with the Center.

Alpha Phi began recruiting on campus in fall 2001 and currently boasts 109 members.

“This is a relationship we are planning to continue through the rest of our years here at GW,” Altschul said.

-Elizabeth Chernow