Men’s water polo goes 2-2 at ECACs

The GW men’s water polo team had a successful weekend at the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championships in Providence, R.I. this weekend, especially considering it was the tenth seed going into the ten-team tournament.

Playing four games against good teams, the Colonials won two and lost two, beating top-seeded Queens College and Johns Hopkins University while falling to Princeton University and Brown University.

“Overall, this weekend was good,” senior driver Jason Grimes said. “We improved by beating teams we haven’t beaten in a while.”

First, the Colonials went up against Queens Friday and won 7-6 in sudden-death overtime. It was a huge win for the Colonials, silencing the doubters who made them the last seed.

The team’s schedule didn’t get any easier on Saturday, as GW played two more games. Against a perennially tough Princeton team, the Colonials struggled and lost 19-4. They were able to come back later that day, though, and beat Johns Hopkins by a score of 13-12.

Finally, on Sunday, they lost a tough match to Brown, 9-6. It was a game the Colonials said they hoped to win but were not able to pull out. The team cited inconsistent officiating as a problem in the game.

The Colonials said they now feel confident that they can compete with the top teams on the East Coast and the strong showing at the ECAC Championships brought them a step closer to achieving their goal of reaching the conference championships.

Next up, the Colonials play Johns Hopkins again, this time in Baltimore, Md. Wednesday.