Campus Briefs

Ben Folds comes to Smith Center

Ben Folds will perform a live concert on Saturday, Nov. 1 at the Smith Center at 8 p.m.
Tickets will go on sale Oct. 6 at the TicketMaster on the first floor of the Marvin Center. The first 2,000 tickets will be available exclusively for students for $20 with valid GWorld identification. Colonial Cash, Visa, Mastercard or cash will be accepted.
General admission tickets can be purchased for $25 online or at TicketMaster locations.
Ben Folds is the former front man of Ben Folds Five, best known for its 1997 album Whatever and Amen. Folds began touring solo in December 2001, playing his own piano rock style. His debut solo album, Rockin’ the Subrubs, was released in September 2001. Since then he has toured the country with Tori Amos and recorded two albums.
The event is being sponsored by the Program Board.

Rec. sports to hold Qubec ski trip

Recreational Sports and Fitness Services is offering its fourth annual ski trip this year to Quebec City, Canada, Jan. 3 to 10. Skiiers will visit three resorts – Mont Sainte-Anne, Stoneham and Le Massif.
The first 45 people to sign up and place a $100 deposit will have a spot. Recreational Sports is already accepting deposits. Students and staff are welcome.
The trip includes roundtrip bus transportation from GW and six nights lodging at a hotel in Old Quebec City, which is centrally located with access to shopping, dining, museums and entertainment. The package also includes bus transportation to the ski resorts, guided bus tours of the city and a five-day interchangeable lift ticket to the three resorts.
To reserve a spot or for more information, e-mail Aubre Jones at [email protected] or visit the office located in Lerner Health and Wellness Center room 217 on 23rd and G streets.

GW joins GMU for golf tournament

Recreational Sports and Fitness will join with George Mason University’s recreational sports department to host a two-person scramble golf tournament on Oct. 18, Colonials Weekend.
The tournament will be played at Virginia Oakes Golf Course in Gainesville, Va., at 1:30 p.m. Participation costs $65 per partner and $130 per team, and golfers have until Oct. 3 to register. Only amateurs may play.
The event is a local qualifying round for the National Collegiate Golf Championships, and the winner will compete in the regionals in Orlando, Fla., in November. Nationals will be held in Las Vegas, Nev.
Parents may compete in the student/parent division, and other divisions are available for students, staff, faculty and alumni. Fees will cover range balls prior to the event, carts and lunch before teeing off. For more information visit http://www.cgagolflinks.com/default.asp