Varsity Roundup

Golf team takes seventh at JMU

The GW golf team finished seventh out of 17 schools at the James Madison Invitational last weekend. Hurricane Isabel forced the Colonials to play 36 holes on Sunday and finish the other 18 on Monday.

Freshman Jack Tyler was GW’s low shooter of the tournament with a 213 total that included a second-round 68. Tyler’s even-par performance for the tournament was good enough to tie him for 9th overall.

Sophomore Andrew Gallo and junior Brandon Muir also contributed to the team’s success. Gallo shot a 217, just four strokes above par to finish in a tie for 22nd, while Muir’s 219 tied him for 35th overall.

As a team, GW shot 863 over three rounds, which was 11 over par. Similar to the tournament at the U.S. Naval Academy, the Colonials defeated many schools that had beaten them in the past, including conference foes St. Joseph’s and Richmond. Georgetown won the tournament with a team total of 846.

The Colonials’ second-round total score of 281 broke a school record on Sunday, breaking the team’s previous record by seven shots. This was just another sign that the golf team has improved from previous seasons. GW has beaten 21 teams and lost to only nine in two tournaments this year.

GW Head Coach Scott Allen said the golf team has a good shot at winning its upcoming tournament this weekend at Kings Creek Country Club in Rehoboth Beach, Del.

“I’ve been at the golf program at GW for 14 years,” Allen said. “And this is by far my best season ever.”

– Jordan Holz