Club Roundup

Women’s field hockey

The women’s field hockey team played its first three games of the season this past weekend at George Mason. Sophomore Tatiana Karas scored the lone goal to beat George Mason 1-0 on Saturday, but the women fell to the University of Virginia later in the day, 3-0. They lost again on Sunday, this time to Georgetown at the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex, 2-0.

Women’s ultimate Frisbee

The women’s ultimate Frisbee team, the Hungry Hungry Hippos, played its first tournament of the fall season at Fort Belvoir, Va., two weeks ago. The team won two games, both by a score of 12-9, but lost four at the sectionals tournament in lopsided affairs, 15-0, 15-1, 14-4 and 15-2.
They will now prepare for upcoming competitions, including the Rutgers Snowball Tournament in Rutgers, N.J., the Purple Valley Tournament in Williamstown, Mass., the Haverford Haverween Tournament in Haverford, Pa., and the University of Maryland Tournament in Washington, D.C.

Volleyball

The women’s volleyball team started its season last Saturday despite a lack of practice due to flooding at the Health and Wellness Center and a power outage at the Mount Vernon gym. In a scrimmage against Loyola College, the women’s A team split two games while the women’s B team lost both its games.

The men’s volleyball teams are still being organized, but the men’s A team will be playing in a regional league and is expected to travel to the national championship this year as it did for the first time last year. The men’s B team will play a number of scrimmages with other area collegiate teams.

-compiled by Jeff Nelson

To see your club in next month’s roundup, e-mail results to [email protected].