WEB EXTRA – University cancels Friday classes

Posted: 1:23 p.m., Thursday The University canceled Friday classes in anticipation of the inclement weather associated with Hurricane Isabel, University officials said Thursday morning.

Bob Ludwig, interim director of media relations, said GW is taking the appropriate actions to ensure students’ safety, adding that the closing of D.C. bus and rail service Thursday morning led GW to cancel classes Thursday and Friday.

“The shutting down of Metro has a lot to do with that decision in terms of the ability of faculty and staff getting to and from campus,” Ludwig said.

GW dining facilities will be open in the Marvin Center, the Hall on Virginia Avenue and Thurston Hall Thursday and Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Ludwig said. On Thursday, Burger King, Chic-fil-A, Provisions, Starbucks and Subway were the only venues open in the Marvin Center.

“I think that they’re vital to be open,” he said.

“Students are encouraged, if there’s dangerous weather out there, to stay indoors,” he added.

The Gelman and Eckles libraries will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday. The Health and Wellness Center will have regularly scheduled hours.

CNN’s “Crossfire” will be aired at its regularly scheduled time, at 4:30 p.m., despite a city-wide declaration of emergency.

Heather Date, the show’s coordinating producer, said students should come to the event only if they feel safe going outside.

“We welcome students to join us this afternoon if they feel safe and comfortable getting to and from the show,” she said.

“We don’t want students to take any unnecessary risks,” she added.