GW in Brief

New public policy school forms
GW graduate students can now earn degrees in public policy at the University’s newest school, the School of Public Policy and Public Administration, which began classes this fall.

A public policy department previously operated under the School of Business and Public Management but reorganized under the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences. There are no plans for a new building, and classes will be held in the Media and Public Affairs building.

The SPPPA will offer master’s degrees and Ph.D.s in public policy or administration.

“The areas of public policy and public administration are clear strengths at GW, and giving them a home in CCAS is a good way to support their strengths,” CCAS Dean William Frawley said.

“(The new school) will give us a more prominent position within the University,” said Kathryn Newcomber, director of the school.

Newcomber has been on the GW faculty for 22 years and said the public administration program has consistently been ranked among the top 15 in the country.

There are currently more than 200 graduate students enrolled in the new school. About 100 students will be admitted to the two-year degree program each year.

A task force consisting of faculty from a variety of University departments met two years ago to present their recommendations for the new school to Donald Lehman, executive vice president for academic affairs. But the idea for the school was proposed nearly 17 years ago.

The staff includes two new faculty members in addition to its core faculty, which come from various departments in other GW schools. Other areas of focus include telecommunications, economics, women’s studies and sociology.

“We will also be hiring new faculty – there will be one search for a faculty member directly in the school this year, and two more in related departments. These two new faculty will have a partial association with the school,” Frawley said.