GW comes back to tie UMD

The GW women’s soccer team got goals from senior Kim Warner and junior Kelly Lawten to come back and stun Maryland, 2-2, in double overtime Sunday at Mount Vernon. The draw was the first time in four years the Terrapins have not beaten the Colonials, and it extended GW’s home-unbeaten streak to seven games dating back to last season.

“I couldn’t have been prouder of the team’s performance,” GW head coach Tanya Vogel said. “The entire team, (I’m proud of) all of them. Whether they were off the field or on the field, it didn’t matter. This was a complete team victory.”

The draw, categorized by Vogel as a victory, came against a talented Maryland team that was the clear favorite. The Colonials battled with the nationally-ranked Terrapins and outplayed them during several late stretches.

“Nobody expected us to win this game,” Vogel said. “But they will now because we proved we could battle and compete with a team like Maryland.”

It took a while for the Colonials to find their groove, however. They were down a goal after a first half in which they often looked indecisive and then fell behind 2-0 early in the second half off an own goal by GW senior Caite Terranova.

But the own goal seemed to spark GW. Minutes later, Warner sped into a trademark breakaway only to have her shot hit the post.

GW kept up the offensive pressure and finally broke through in the 75th minute, when Lawten headed in a corner kick from sophomore Ina Kain to cut the Terrapins’ lead in half. The goal was the first the Colonials had scored against the Terrapins in five games.

Maryland could not respond, as the Colonials continued to mount offensive pressure. GW then tied the game in the 86th minute, as Warner netted her fourth goal of the season. Assisted by Lawten, Warner beat the Maryland keeper from the top of the box. She would have another great chance with seconds remaining in regulation, but her shot missed by just inches over the crossbar.

Each team had chances in the extra frames, but in the end neither team produced a goal and the game ended in the 2-2 stalemate.

The tie was rewarding for Vogel on a personal level, as well, because she used to play for Maryland head coach Shannon Higgins-Cirovski at GW. That coach-player combination led GW to its last and only NCAA Tournament appearance in 1996.

With the tie against Maryland and victories over Georgetown and American last week, GW is 2-0-1 in its stretch of four straight games against area teams. They play Howard Wednesday at Mount Vernon at 2:30 p.m.