Women soar past Eagles

Halfway through their stretch of four straight games against area schools, the GW women’s soccer team is two for two. The Colonials dominated American on Wednesday, 3-1, after beating Georgetown three days earlier. Maryland and Howard await the Colonials next week.

Against the Eagles, GW (3-1) started strong and set the game’s tone in the first 10 minutes. It was the type of beginning the team knew was necessary, head coach Tanya Vogel said.

“I think our team came out to play today,” she said. “They knew this was a very important game that they needed to win and they took care of things from very early in the match. They came out and told American that we were going to win.”

GW started winning in the 18th minute when senior Kim Warner scored on what could have been a controversial play. After the ball was played to Warner, who was 15 yards from the goal, she “started to work her magic a bit,” Vogel said, and her defender was forced to grab her.

The GW bench started screaming for a penalty kick, but no whistle came. Warner kept working, though, and scored, making the foul a moot point.

“Kim decided she didn’t need the (penalty kick) and just put the ball in the back of the net,” Vogel said.

GW added to its lead in the 43rd minute when sophomore Ashley Squires put a one-time volley past American’s Alison Doyle. The goal was set up when Warner played a ball wide to sophomore Lisa Backman, who beat her defender to the end line and served the ball for Squires. The Colonials took their 2-0 lead into halftime.

With American (1-3) mustering little offense, GW added its final goal when freshman Sarah Sample scored unassisted in the 62nd minute. For Sample, it was her third goal of the year.

“We knew Sarah would be a top player in Division I college soccer,” Vogel said. “We’re very happy to have her with us, but Sarah would be the first one to tell you, and the same goes for Kim Warner, that they wouldn’t be anything without their teammates. They’re both excellent individual players, but they’re part of a team and they do a good job being a part of that team.”

American scored its only goal in the 86th minute, with the outcome all but decided, as Marcela Ricupero beat GW goalkeeper Anna Hankelik. For the game, Hankelik had six saves.

Up next for GW is Maryland, who travels to the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex on Sunday. Vogel has defeated the Terrapins as a player but as a coach, she is 0-for-3.

“This is my fourth year coaching and this is my fourth year against Maryland, and this is the best team we’ve had in a long time,” Vogel said. “I think a lot of people put Maryland up on a pedestal, but you’ll see that GW is a fighting, heads-up team that is prepared for that battle and is excited for that opportunity on Sunday.”