Women beat Hoyas for split

The GW women’s soccer team split a pair of games at the Eurosport Hoya Classic last weekend, beating cross-town rival Georgetown 2-1 on Sunday after falling to Virginia Commonwealth University 1-0 on Friday.

Beating the Hoyas was particularly sweet for the Colonials after losing to Georgetown in their last three meetings.

“I really, really wanted to beat Georgetown,” freshman Sarah Sample said. “You could feel the desire in the team and it means a lot to win. Especially since they’re always going to the NCAA Tournament and we haven’t been there in a long time.”

Overall, GW head coach Tanya Vogel said she was pleased with her team’s performance over the weekend.

“Anytime you’re playing the second game of a weekend series it’s tough,” Vogel said. “But I feel like the girls came out and put forth their best effort.”

GW (2-1) initially came out flat on Sunday, frequently losing the ball. But the Colonials eventually settled down and took the lead in the 34th minute on a lucky goal scored by sophomore midfielder Ashley Squires. Squires attempted to cross the ball into the penalty area, but the Hoyas goalkeeper went to take it out of mid-air. Unable to handle the high ball, it slipped through her hands and in for an easy goal.

This sparked the Colonials, as they had a flurry of chances afterwards, including a shot by freshman Molly Eckert that struck the crossbar and a shot by senior Kim Warner that was cleared off the line by a defender.

GW held its one goal through halftime and added to it soon after, as Sample headed in a cross from Kim Warner. The Colonials then went into a defensive mode, but their tactics backfired when senior Jessie Beers-Altman brought the Hoyas to within one with a scorching shot in the 67th minute.

Energized by their goal, the Hoyas had several close chances to tie the score, including a clearance off the goal line.

Warner had an opportunity to ice the game with a breakaway but she had her shot saved with three minutes remaining. Warner looked out of sorts all game and had been substituted in the first half, but the Colonials held on for the win.

Vogel said Warner was giving her best effort but was fatigued by the two weekend games.

Against VCU, the Colonials never put together a real offensive threat. They ended the game with only two shots and wasted a seven-save performance from sophomore goalkeeper Kelly Paolucci. The game’s only goal came when Rams junior Jen Parsons scored in the 52nd minute.

“We battled hard on Friday but we came up short so emotionally we were a little bit drained,” said Vogel. “The girls never really stopped fighting, but there are obviously some things we need to work on.”

GW will play on the road against another D.C. rival, American, in its next game Wednesday at 4 p.m.