BSU, OLAS kick off year

Nearly 200 students gathered in the Hippodrome Saturday to start the year off in style at the Black Student Union and Organization of American Latino Students kickoff event.

The organizations expanded their reach to students at American, Howard and Georgetown universities for the first time this year – a step group leaders acknowledged as positive.

Although the Hippodrome was a little empty early in the night, the dance floor filled up as the evening continued. From 9 p.m. until 2 a.m. students let loose and enjoyed a wide variety of hip-hop and Latin music, and the company of a very diverse turnout.

OLAS president Carolina Saenz said the partnership between the two groups, which began with a multicultural retreat in 2001, translates into a group that facilitates building a welcoming community at GW.

“This event is about showing who we are, we are welcoming the diversity GW has to offer,” Saenz said. “It’s awesome for everyone to get together.”

Students said they came to dance, meet up with old friends, make new acquaintances and enjoy themselves.

Junior Yvonne Orji said she thought the “very chill atmosphere” of the event was perfect for the diverse population and great to welcome freshmen to GW.

“Even though it’s made by the Black Student Union and the Organization of Latino American Students it’s for everybody, there are so many different types of people here,” freshman James Walker said.

The welcome back bash, formerly known as “Where ‘da party at” was renamed this year “To the Window, to the Wall,” said junior Omar Woodard, BSU president.

“The new name is all about how great this party is and how many people are going to be here having a good time; it’s going to be to the window to the wall,” Woodard said.

Woodard said while this will be the largest party of the year, students should look forward to more in months to come.