GW IN BRIEF

Powell speech to be screened live in J Street, MPA building

The University will provide a live feed of U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell’s policy address Friday, for students who could not get tickets to his speech. The feed will start at 11 a.m. in J Street, the Media and Public Affairs building’s Jack Morton Auditorium and on GW’s Channel 11.

Tickets were distributed starting Tuesday at 11 a.m., and were sold out in about two hours.

Powell is set to speak in Lisner Auditorium to a crowd of about 1,500 people, marking the grand opening of the Elliott School of International Affairs building.

-Julie Gordon

Old hospital to be demolished

Beginning next week and continuing through December, the old GW Hospital building will be demolished. The demolition will consist of a wrecking ball and claw. Utilities have been disconnected and hazardous material has been removed in preparation.

The 90-day demolition project will also consist of dump trucks located on each side of the building to remove debris and sidewalk closures beginning Sept. 15 on 22nd and I streets. In December, following the demolition, the site will be leveled and fenced in.

University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg said this summer that GW will use the site for academic and commercial facilities in the future, but no definite plans have been made.

He said the “leading contender” for space in a new facility is the School of Public Health and Health Services.

-Elizabeth Chernow and Mosheh Oinounou

Andrew W.K. to perform September 13

Although Program Board officials refuse to comment on this year’s Fall Fest act, rock artist Andrew W.K. will perform at GW Sept. 13 , the same day as Fall Fest, according to the performer’s Web site.

Jon Reiling, PB executive chair, said he could not comment on who will be performing at Fall Fest because contracts with the performer or performers have not yet been finalized.

Andrew W.K. is currently on a 26-city tour promoting his newest album, “The Wolf” and will also perform at the 9:30 Club on Wednesday.

-Elizabeth Chernow

Residence halls to receive arts-related renovations

New additions to Mitchell and Fulbright halls will be opening this fall in an administrative effort to support Living and Learning Communities and other academic initiatives.

Mitchell Hall will be adding an art gallery to its lobby for its arts-focused Living and Learning Communities this fall.

“We hope to display art produced by the residents there as well as art from invited speakers,” said James Kohl, director of Living and Learning Initiatives. “In addition, we are giving a face lift to the Mitchell Hall Theater by adding some seating and a projection screen.”

In Fulbright, Kohl said the University purchased couches, bookcases and well-known books to create a library, which will be completed and opened up this fall.

-Andrea Nurko