GW in brief

Alpha Phi townhouse floods
Members of the Alpha Phi sorority said the basement of their townhouse flooded early last week during a rainstorm. The Alpha Phi townhouse is one of eight new Greek-letter houses that opened on campus this fall.

Alpha Phi President Kelsey Anderson said there was a puddle in the basement about a half an inch deep, but the University “took care of it right away.”

Members said damage to the house and damage to personal property was minimal, since the occupants were just beginning the move-in process.

“The carpets in the basement smelled for the first day but (GW) had them mopped and cleaned within about five hours,” Anderson said. “A couple girls had a box of detergent down there which they threw out, but we hadn’t moved in any important stuff.”

Since the incident, members said they have not had any more problems with water damage.

“The next day we had the exact same amount of rain and (the basement) was fine,” Anderson said.

-Elizabeth Chernow

Career Center replaces job Web Site
The GW Career Center installed GWork as the new official GW job and internship listing service Monday, replacing its previously used MonsterTRAK/GWTrak. The new system will give students more personalized options.

GWork consists of three main services – job listings, interview scheduling and a resume database. The resume database, which was previously unavailable on MonsterTRAK/GWTrak, allows students to keep their resumes online.

Career Center Executive Director Marva Gumbs said she hopes the changes will make the system ” customizable” to different departments in the University and for individual students.

GW made the switch to make the system more personalized, not because of an insufficiency with the former system, Gumbs said.

The move ends the Career Center’s nine-year partnership with Jobsearch/Monster.com, despite its wide-spread use among students. Officials said between June of 2002 and June 2003, the MonsterTRAK/GWTrak system received 191,179 logins.

-Adam Petrik

SA releases GW guidebook
The Student Association released a “Dummies’ Guide to Student Rights” Monday, a concise guidebook outlining GW students’ rights. The book will clarify the Code of Academic Integrity and the Code of Student Conduct, help students understand the roles of University Police Department and Student Judicial Services and define what they can and cannot do, SA leaders said.

Student Association President Kris Hart said the entirely student-written book is part of an effort “to have students be responsible.”

The guidebook will be available to students for free all over campus, including at SA events and in at the SA office in Marvin Center room 424.

-Elizabeth Chernow