Reviews: Finding Nemo

A great white shark pulls you down into the murky depths of the sea, what do you do? You join his 12-step meat eaters anonymous group, of course! Well, you would if you were a fish in the new Disney/ Pixar animated film “Finding Nemo.” This bubbly underwater adventure brings the voices of actors Albert Brooks (“The Muse,” “The In-Laws”), Ellen DeGeneres (“Ellen”) Willem Dafoe (“Spiderman,” “The Boondock Saints”) and Alexander Gould (“They,” “Mexico City”), to the silver screen.

To a tiny clownfish named Marlin (Brooks), the ocean is a gigantic place filled with danger. Risking his life, Marlin travels the open sea to find his missing son Nemo (Gould) after Nemo is captured by divers and put into a dentist’s fish tank. Marlin teams up with a memory-impaired fish named Dory (DeGeneres) to form an unlikely duo. The pair faces the perils of giant stinging jellyfish, fishing nets, flocks of hungry seagulls and a trio of guilt-ridden vegan sharks.

While Marlin tries to find his son, Nemo makes his own attempts to get home. He is helped out by his newly found fish mates, all of whom are deranged from swimming in a tank all their lives. They are lead by the eccentric Moorish idol named Gill (Dafoe).

This is a great movie to bring younger siblings or other kids to, but the best part is that “Nemo” is for us elders too. The ocean is jam-packed with psychologically impaired fish. Marlin is obsessive compulsive and Dory has a bad case of Jamais Vu – short term memory loss. Everyone else’s problems can be found in the DSM manual of aquatic abnormalities. Schizophrenics, multiple personalities, explosive personality disorders and hysterics – hell, there’s even a stoner tortoise and his son.

Yes, this is a Disney movie, and with that comes the message. What we have here is the moral of letting go and living life, as both Marlin and Nemo find themselves accomplishing things they never thought possible, especially in the untested waters beyond the reef.

The action is pretty fierce for a kids’ movie, but nothing too explosive. The one downside to this movie is the very depressing opening where Marlin, outside of Nemo, loses his entire family to a viscous barracuda. It is a bit too harsh, but more than makes up for it throughout the rest of the film.

Take your friends, take your neighbors, take your fish – as long as you go see this year’s best underwater adventure.