Academic calendar committee releases final report

The taskforce created to explore a new academic calendar submitted its final report to top administrators last week, which will be posted on the GWeb site on Wednesday. The committee was originally slated to release its report in early May, but pushed back the date to allow for further investigation.

The report enumerates the pros and cons of a mandatory summer session for rising juniors, and a credit system where students take four four-credit classes per semester. GW officials have been considering an alternative academic calendar since the fall, and a taskforce was established in January.

Member of the Committee for an Alternative Academic Calendar Gerald Kauvar said the Web site will include links to access the appendices, which are compilations of subcommittee reports. A copy will also be located in Gelman Library.

“It’s a very discursive document. It’s very thoughtful,” Kauvar said. “It’s not just a set of bullet points, but thoughtful analysis.”

Both Kauvar and co-chair of the committee, Charles Karelis, declined to comment on the specifics of the report. Karelis said his committee’s job was to “illuminate” the issues for administration by “supplying them with facts.”

University President Steven Joel Trachtenberg received the final report last week, and a letter will be posted on Web Site requesting comments from the community by September.

Trachtenberg proposed the idea in a speech to faculty in November. He said the University is not using its classrooms and resources to its full potential, which he called a “sin.”

A decision to create a new calendar must be approved by the Board of Trustees, a 30-member board that must approve all University policies. It will review the report at a meeting in October, Kauvar said.