24-hour food, 24/7 disputes

Now that the geography department has moved out of Quigley’s on 21st and G streets, students are salivating over the possibility of a 24-hour eatery sometime in the future. GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg has said in previous interviews that he envisions a 24-hour food venue there, but no solid plans have been developed. While students wait to see whether after-hours dining plans will unfold, 7-Eleven on New Hampshire Avenue has decided that it will try to cater to the late-night cravings of Foggy Bottom students and residents.

The store is petitioning the city’s Board of Zoning Adjustment to stay open 24 hours a day, seven days per week. The store is currently only open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. This would be a blessing for most students whose requests for late-night eating have not been met by the University, but once again local residents have stepped in, to protest the desirable change on the basis that it would create an unbearable noise increase.

While we agree that it should be the University’s responsibility to provide the amenities required by a growing and demanding student population, this should not prevent or make it impermissible for off-campus vendors to seize on this profitable business opportunity.

Aramark and student dining leaders have been taking steps in the right direction by extending the hours of Big Burger, Starbucks and Provisions market, but the University should develop a full-functioning 24-hour option like those available at most comprehensive universities. Until that time comes, students welcome outside companies to realize that students do not live on the typical D.C. timetable and that there is a big market for a 24-hour venues near campus, especially one that has seating.

7-Eleven is not the residents’ problem, and they should not act like it is. They look at this as the fault of GW for not offering a 24-hour dining option to the over-expanded student population. While this may be true, incoming students see community members and groups arguing against student life improvements such as later Health and Wellness Center hours and even extended 7-Eleven hours, and they start to question the motives of our neighbors. At times, it looks like community members’ problems are with the students and not the University, although they claim to be pro-student.