Drama beyond the dorm room

The Kennedy Center
Show: “As You Like It”
Where: 2700 F St. NW
When: Through May 18, call 467-4600 for show times and prices.
How: By foot or metro – Take the Blue or Orange Line to the Foggy Bottom metro stop
Atmosphere: A very elegant theater, dress varies from business casual to formal
The dramatic comedy is elegantly brought to the stage by Britain’s Royal Shakespeare Company. Set first in a Duchess’ Court and then in the Forest of Arden, “As You Like It” presents a love story with a cross-dressing twist.

To attempt a simple synopsis would be futile, for this is Shakespeare. Nevertheless, here it goes: Rosalind is the daughter of the former Duke Senior. Duke Senior is banished to the Forest of Arden by the ruling Duke Frederick. Out of paranoia, Frederick also banishes Rosalind. As a result, Rosalind goes into hiding under the guise of a boy. The only problem is that the cross-dressing Rosalind finds her true love Orlando while in disguise.

A maze of intermingling cross plots and outrageous comedic situations ensue, as Rosalind tries to win love while trapped in a foreign gender.

Show: “Shear Madness”
When: no end date in sight
Shear Madness is a tour de force in improvisational comedy and interactive theater.

Set in a modern Georgetown hair salon, “Shear Madness” presents an outstanding comedy that directly involves the audience. Theatergoers have the opportunity to solve the whodunit’s crime.

The show has come to be known as a delight to local Washingtonians and visitors alike.

The Studio Theatre
Show: “The Play about the Baby”
Where: 1333 P St. NW
When: Through May 18, call 332-3300 for show times and prices
How: Metro – Take the Red Line to Dupont Circle, then walk five blocks to P Street
Atmosphere: Not a bad seat in the house, up close and personal.
Edward Albee wrote this hysterical and disturbing play about a young, naive couple and its baby. All is angelic in the house until a mysterious elderly couple shows up to teach the younger pair a few lessons about suffering and identity.

Abstract in its style, the piece keeps audience members engaged in an absurd world of wicked linguistics and random events. Note: Lots of nudity and mature themes

The Arena Stage
Show: “An American Daughter”
Where: 1101 6th St. SW
When: Through June 1, call 488-3300 for show times and prices
How: Metro – Take the Green Line to Waterfront Station
Atmosphere: Fantastic stadium seating without the nosebleed section.
Wendy Wasserstein’s Pulitzer Prize-winning political comedy could not be more Washington, D.C. Lyssa Dent Hughes is an extremely successful woman, both at home and professionally. Nominated for the position of Surgeon General, Hughes and her husband begin to deal with the media frenzy made over them. However, when a press luncheon goes terribly wrong, something out of Hughes’ past threatens to strip both her nomination and family away from her.

Show: “Ain’t Misbehavin”
When: Call 488-3300 for show times and prices
A ragtime musical comedy set to the jazzed-up tunes of Fats Waller. Great music, great dancing, all on top of an off-the-cuff comedy performance.

The Warner Theatre
Show: “Stand-up with Dave Chappelle”
Where: 13th Street, between E and F streets
When: May 16
How: By foot or metro – Take the Red Line to Metro Center
Atmosphere: A gorgeous theatre, most attend in business casual attire
D.C. native Dave Chappelle brings his stand-up routine back to the District. A popular black comedian, Chappelle has appeared on numerous TV programs and films such as “Half Baked,” “Robin Hood: Men in Tights” and “The Nutty Professor.” Racy and hilarious, Chappelle delivers an excellent performance.