Sports Brief: Softball team shut out in doubleheader

The GW softball team was shut out in both games of a doubleheader against Maryland Tuesday, marking the 15th and 16th games this season in which the Colonials failed to score a run. The Colonials (3-32) were defeated 6-0 in both contests in College Park, Md. and have now lost six games in a row.

The day included a combined no-hitter thrown by Terrapins pitchers Monica Cyphert and Liz Gall in Game One.

Sophomore Jaclyn Sanderson took the loss for GW in that game, giving up four runs in three and two thirds innings. She was relieved by freshman Elana Meyers, who pitched the remaining two and one third innings and gave up two runs in the fifth.

The Colonials’ best opportunity to score came in the fifth, when freshman Kristin Miller drew a two-out walk and sophomore Ashley Atkin followed by reaching base on an error. Freshman Lissa Moses struck out to the end the inning, though, and GW would not threaten again.

After being shut out by Maryland (19-16) in the first game, the Colonials did manage five hits in Game Two but saw only one GW runner advance past first base.

Sophomore Jen Lawrence tallied the loss for the Colonials, allowing two runs in two thirds of an inning before being pulled for Sanderson. After scoring two runs in the first inning, Maryland added another run in the second and three more in the fifth.

GW’s next game is Friday at 3 p.m. at Rhode Island.