SA NOTES

Senate considers cabinet appointments
The Senate confirmed all of Student Association President Kris Hart’s cabinet nominations up for consideration at the second official 2003-2004 Senate meeting Tuesday.

“I’m very pleased that all my nominations on the table were confirmed unanimously and without objection,” Hart said. “This is a triumph for students, and shows what can happen when we work together.”

The only nomination not considered by the Senate was that of Mary Mai, Hart’s nominee for vice president for Community Affairs. The Rules Committee voted five to zero not to release Mai’s nomination.

“The Rules Committee is concerned that Ms. Mai showed no initiative in taking a leadership role in her capacity of Assistant VPCA in the 2002-2003 school year,” according to a memorandum released by the committee. The memo also mentioned that the committee was concerned with Mai’s “lack of new ideas for the Office of Community Affairs for the upcoming school year.”

Hart said he plans to re-nominate Mai because “she’s very qualified for the job.”

Other notable appointees included: former Sen. Chris Percopo as vice president for judicial and legislative affairs, former Sen. Vikrum Bakhru as vice president for graduate student policy, Shyrea Thompson as director of the Diversity Affairs Commission, Ryan Geist as the director of the Dining Services Commission and former Residence Hall Association Vice President Tom Wallen as Student Representative to the Faculty Senate Committee on Physical Facilities.

Finance committee alters policy
The Senate passed a bill detailing the Finance Committee’s policies for next year.

The non-binding statement said student organizations applying for funding must be recognized by the Student Association, but not necessarily by the Student Activities Center.

Other policy changes give the Senate discretion over the initial funding of new student groups, and a provision noting food shall not be considered a priority budget expense for student organizations.

Oshana serves as EVP for five minutes
Outgoing Vice President for Judicial and Legislative Affairs Justin Oshana was “Ceremonial Chair for Five Minutes” at Tuesday’s meeting.

The position was auctioned off this past month at Martha’s Marathon, a Residence Hall Association fundraiser for housing scholarships. Former presidential candidate, Jon McDaniel, a sophomore, purchased the position for $65 and gave it to Oshana as a birthday present.

Rather than giving a speech, Oshana invited the GW Vibes and a new student jazz group, the Jon Kantor Trio to perform. Oshana along with actual EVP Eric Daleo and Rules Committee Chair Chrissy Trotta, presented the groups with certificates of appreciation and posed for a photo.