AROUND CAMPUS

Former senator, GW alumnae added to Commencement
Former Sen. Jean Carnahan, (D-Mo.) will be receiving an honorary degree alongside three other notables at the May 18 Commencement ceremony on the Ellipse, GW officials said Wednesday.

Carnahan, who served in the U.S. Senate for two years, graduated from GW in 1955. She took over the senate seat in 2000 after her husband won election two week after dying in a plane crash. She lost the seat in 2002.

“We are absolutely thrilled to have her,” said Gretchen King, director of media relations. “She stood on her feet when faced with adversity.”

Virginia Governor Mark Warner, also a GW alumnus, will keynote the ceremony. The University will also be giving honorary degrees to jazz musician Billy Taylor, former IRS commissioner Sheldon Cohen and scientist Madeleine Jacobs.
-Mosheh Oinounou

MC post office set to close
The Marvin Center post office will close May 16. Officials said full postal services will be available at Student Package Services and at Mount Vernon Campus Mail Center beginning fall 2003. Student Packages Services is located at 2025 F St. on the lower level.

“It will close on May 16th because that is after commencement. In the past two years, post office usage has been dead after that point,” said Nancy Haaga, director of Auxiliary and Institutional Services.

Stamps will be available for purchase at the GW Bookstore, Provisions Market and the Pulse Copy Center. In the past year, 98 percent of the post office’s business consisted of stamp purchases.

Michael Peller, managing director of Business Services, said the University has yet to decide what will replace the post office, but hopes to have it filled by the fall.
-Matt Windman

SAC, Class Council present Midnight Breakfast
Students looking to grab a late-night bite to eat can come to the Marvin Center Thursday from 10:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.

J Street stations will be filled with breakfast foods such as eggs, fruit and potatoes.

The Marvin Center will also host a poster-making contest, miniature golf, a quarterback toss and two hot dog eating contests. To register for the hot dog eating contests, e-mail [email protected] with “hot dog contest” in the subject line as soon as possible. Only 24 slots are available. Those chosen to participate will be notified.

Academy Award Winner speaks at GW
Academy Award-winning filmmaker Sydney Pollack will address the role of politics in film at a roundtable discussion Friday.

The event will take place from 6 to 7:30 p.m. in the 1957 E St. building, room 213. Associate Dean of the Elliot School of International Affairs Harvey Feigenbaum will host the program.

The discussion is free and open to the public.

ESIA offers new course, seeks students
Professor of International Affairs Leon Fuerth will teach a new course titled “Forward Engagement” this fall. The class will focus on non-traditional types of global, local and national threats – including environmental, health security and technology.

The three-credit, 700-level course will be open to honors undergraduate and all graduate students. It will meet on Thursdays from 3:30 to 6 p.m. To register, or for more information, contact Jillian Hayes at 994-4543 or [email protected].

GW famous faces join Wall of Fame
Several administrators and students will be inducted into the Hippodrome’s Wall of Fame Thursday at 4 p.m..

This year’s class includes English and Africana Studies professor James Miller, Executive Vice President and Treasurer Louis Katz and Director of Admissions Kathryn Napper. Inductees are immortalized with caricatures on the Wall.

Students, faculty and staff submitted nominations in February to honor members of the community who provide the University with leadership and service, and make a significant contribution to student life.

Students de-stress during finals
The Lerner Health and Wellness Center will offer complimentary stress-free activities throughout the week.

Students can take advantage of free group fitness classes from Thursday until May 16. Classes include aqua training, cycling, cardioboxing, mat pilates and step. For a complete schedule, log onto gwired.gwu.edu/gwellness.

On Tuesday, students can participate in yoga at 7:10 p.m., 8 p.m. and 9 p.m.; a foosball tournament at 9 p.m., free play soccer from 7 to 10 p.m. and free prizes all night.
-Julie Gordon