Colonials varsity roundup

Golf ties for 13th at Rhode Island
The GW golf team tied for third place at the 13-team Rhode Island Invitational Friday, while freshman Brian Carroll continued his strong play with a tie for seventh place individually. The tournament was scheduled for two rounds, but rain forced the cancellation of Saturday’s second round, making Friday’s first-round scores the final results.

The Colonials shot a team-total 312 at the par-72 Newport National Golf Club in Middleton, R.I. They finished tied with Rutgers, three strokes behind second-place Rhode Island and 13 strokes behind first-place Binghamton University.

Carroll’s round started with a three-over 39 going out, but the freshman came in with an even-par 36 to finish four strokes off the lead. It was his first outing since his second-place finish at the Rehoboth Beach Invitational won him both Atlantic 10 Player and Rookie of the Week honors on April 21.

Senior Brad Friedlander shot a 77 Friday to tie for 13th place, while freshman Dan Mirabella shot a 79 to tie for 24th. The Colonial lineup was rounded out by freshman Federico Guzman and junior Charles Taylor, who finished in ties for 36th and 59th with an 81 and an 82, respectively.

GW’s next tournament is the A-10 Championship May 2-4 in Dayton, Ohio.
-Jeff Nelson

Water polo finishes seventh at Easterns, Reed wins Coach of the Year
The GW women’s water polo team’s season ended Sunday after its best year in the history of the program. The Colonials placed seventh at the Eastern Championships in Cambridge, Mass., to finish the season with a record-high 17 wins.

In recognition of the team’s success, GW head coach Scott Reed was named southern division Coach of the Year after the tournament.

GW (17-13) split four games over three days, beating Wagner College and Bucknell University and losing to No. 14 University of Indiana and Harvard University.

“That was by far our best performance all year,” Reed said. “We played a great game against the 14th-ranked team in the country.”

GW beat Bucknell in the seventh-place game Sunday for the third straight time. The Colonials were down 4-1 but rallied back to win 8-6. Senior Adrienne Taylor had two goals to lead the team in the final game of her career.

The Colonials played two games Saturday, going up against Indiana first. GW trailed the Hoosiers by only one point in the third period but went on to lose 9-6. Junior Elisabeth Schweitzer and sophomore Kendra Shanley each had two scores.

In Saturday’s second game, GW played a close game with Harvard but lost 9-7. Junior Vanessa Fravel had three goals and junior Kira Canon had two.

Friday, the Colonials beat Wagner 7-6 behind four goals from Canon and two goals from senior Kiersten Johnson. GW was down 4-2 at halftime but came back to win by one.

Fravel and senior Ashley Pyka were both named to the All Southern Division Second Team.
-Ted Simonson

Softball tallies 30th loss
The Colonials dropped another doubleheader Sunday, this time against Atlantic 10 foe Fordham, 12-0 and 7-2, in games one and two, respectively. The GW softball team’s record has now fallen to 3-30 overall and 0-12 in the Atlantic 10 after the team showed signs of improvement with its third win just last week.

On senior day at the Mount Vernon softball field, seniors Edna Coonan, Alison Scimeca and Samantha Sordi played their final home games while seniors Liz Zentos and Beth Howard looked on.

Sordi made the best of her final home games by hitting an RBI single in the second game, while Coonan also added a single.

In Game One, Fordham hurler Michelle Schlichtig (21-6) no-hit the Colonials with nine strikeouts, while the Colonials continued to have trouble in the field with five errors.

The final blows came in the eighth inning, when the Rams scored eight runs, including a homer by Jaime Giguere.

In Game Two, the Colonials squandered a solid pitching performance by freshman Elana Meyers (2-15), as three more GW errors led to three unearned runs.

The weekend sweep came after GW lost both games of a doubleheader against George Mason Friday, 6-0 and 2-1.

The Colonials will try to add a win to their inaugural season Wednesday in College Park, Md., where they will play a doubleheader against Maryland at 5 p.m.
-Anthony Moniello

Lacrosse wins season finale
The GW women’s lacrosse team ended the 2003 season with its second-ever win in Atlantic 10 play Sunday, a 15-8 home victory over St. Bonaventure.

Sophomore midfielder Jamie Lee led GW (7-8, 2-5 A-10) with three goals and two assists on senior day. After taking a 6-4 lead into the half, the Colonials scored six unanswered goals to start the second half. Freshman attacker Katie Kearns had the first four-goal game of her collegiate career in the win.

The Colonials were not as successful in Baltimore Friday, dropping a 15-4 decision to No. 19 Johns Hopkins after two long scoring droughts during the game.

Freshman midfielder Lauren Bower had two assists and sophomore midfielder Jenny Heisler had a goal and an assist.

Johns Hopkins opened the game with a 5-0 scoring run before going on a 7-0 run to open the second half. The Colonials’ four goals marked their lowest offensive output since their 17-4 loss to George Mason in the opening week of the season.
-Charles Vundla