AROUND CAMPUS

International Affairs Society seeks staff for conference
The International Affairs Society is accepting applications to staff its eighth annual Greater Washington Conference on International Affairs in the fall. The event is a one-day conference that brings together local middle school students to participate in a United Nations simulation.

Interested applicants can turn in applications in Marvin Center 422 Monday evening from 7 to 9 p.m.. Applications will also be accepted via e-mail to [email protected] until all positions are filled.

SA hosts forum on minorities in media
The Student Association Diversity Affairs Commission is hosting a forum on issues concerning minorities in the media from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday in the Marvin Center Amphitheater. A reception at 6 p.m. will precede the forum in Marvin Center 310.

Panelists include Marcia Morris, an entertainment lawyer and music video producer, Janice Ferebee, an author and lecturer, LaWanda Stone Abernathy, a reporter for The Boston Globe and The Chicago Tribune and Jeannie Jones, radio personality for 93.9 WKYS.

Students interested in an internship at WKYS should come to the reception at 6 p.m. to pick up an application and speak to Jones for further information.

RSVP to Shyrea Thompson, director of the commission, at [email protected].

Afghan students hold fundraiser for Children of War
The Afghan Student Organization presents “Seeing Eye to Eye,” a fundraiser for Children of War, a non-profit organization that benefits Afghan families and refugees in Pakistan.

It will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday on Kogan Plaza.

The event will include a free barbecue, traditional Afghan food, arts and crafts and a silent art auction. The proceeds from the auction will benefit Children of War.

For further information contact the Afghan Student Organization at [email protected].
-Andrew Novak

Students commemorate Holocaust Remembrance Day
GW Hillel will hold a Yom Hashoah memorial service in Kogan Plaza Monday evening from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. to commemorate lives lost during the Holocaust.

Students will also be reading lists of names of those who were killed Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. All are welcome to attend the service and name reading.

Free coffee, poetry readings mark Cafe Gelman
Students looking to take a study break Wednesday can stop by the first floor reading room of the Gelman Library. From 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., the library will hand out complimentary lattes, and hold an open microphone event. Students can read poetry, sing or tell jokes. The event is being co-sponsored by the Program Board.
-Julie Gordon

New University gate under construction
University officials said this week they hope to complete a new gate near the hospital by the time parents and visitors arrive for Commencement.

University spokesman Bob Ludwig said the gate, located at the intersection of I St, New Hampshire and 24th St should be completed by graduation.

“We are hoping to have it all done by then,” Ludwig said.
-Alex Kingsbury